Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

They grow up so fast

People are always telling me to enjoy my kids while they’re little because they grow up so fast. It’s true. They do grow up fast – and I think that’s why people are able to remain sane. I love babies. They’re cute. They’re cuddly. They’re entertaining. They are also demanding, loud, and helpless. One year of babyhood is plenty.

My oldest son went off to Middle School yesterday. I was a little misty eyed at the thought of my first born growing up. I thought of his cute little squeaky voice and the funny things he used to say. I thought of the way he used to orbit me in stores. He never wandered. (I’m serious. It was weird.)

I also babysat my 6 month old niece yesterday. Talk about putting things in perspective. I love my niece’s adorable dimples and toothless grin. But I was exhausted by the time my sister came to get her. There is a reason why nap time is one of the most celebrated times in the Mommy world.
My son’s voice is no longer cute and squeaky. Now it’s cracking and he hits about 3 octaves with each word. He still says funny things, but now they make sense. He only orbits me when he’s chasing his younger siblings and bugging me at the same time. But he still doesn’t wander. I hope that stays true. I like having him around.

Kids are cute when they’re little and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. But I also rejoiced the day I threw out the diaper pail. I love that they can do things for themselves like get dressed, clean their room, and feed themselves. I will miss them while they are all at school, but I’m also looking forward to having some quiet time to write and catch up with housework. I’m excited to see what they can accomplish this school year. I’m sure they’ll grow a lot. I can’t wait to see what they accomplish next.

No comments:

Post a Comment