Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Why I don't make New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Year! I saw a post on Facebook asking how many people have actually succeeded with their New Years Resolution.  Are the numbers really that low?  Yes, I think so.  And here’s why.  A resolution is a one time thing – like a bubble.  

You declare you won’t pop the bubble, but it’s so tempting.  So you pop it.  

 You can’t unpop it, so your resolution is broken. 

 Let’s say you resolve to be kinder to the environment. 

 You buy a load of reusable bags but forget to take them with you to the store. 

 Bam! Broken resolution. You may as well leave your car running while you pick your kids up for school.  (You do that anyway, don’t you?) I would have been okay forgetting about the reusable bags but if I brought home a plastic bag, my daughter would look up at me with her big sad eyes. 

 To which I would say,  


So I’d cut the handles on the bags (for the birds) and put them in the recycle bin with my guilt. And a few years later when her dad brings home plastic bags, she says nothing.  “What about the sea turtles?” I ask.
She'll be sorry one day when no one can find Nemo.

So I set goals.  Goals aren’t a one-time thing.  They’re a journey.  Your goal is the destination.  So if your goal is to lose weight, you can still get to your destination if you stop to eat a Twinkie.  It will take you longer, but you can still get there if you don’t take too many side roads. 

 So what are your goals for 2012? I plan to clean the bathroom more often. I like to keep my goals simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment