Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

A cute and inexpensive way to wrap friend presents

When my kids are invited to birthday parties, they have to come up with the money to buy the present for their friends.  Then comes the problem of wrapping the resulting tiny present.  My kids would have more money if they ever did their chores, but they don't so they don't have a lot of spending money.  The gifts are carefully chosen, but not big.  They look silly in wrapping paper and a gift bag would cost about as much as the gift.  But I found a solution!


I found some instructions for cute little Easter baskets here and here on Pinterest. I pinned them and then Easter came and went.  Then I thought it would be cute to make a little basket for wrapping the present my daughter bought for her friend.  I think it turned out darling.
My daughter used her art paper and chalk pastels for the paper.  Then we cut it into one inch strips and wove six strips to make the bottom.  For the two strips that go on the side, we connected two strips together and trimmed off the excess.  (The two places I linked to above have really good instructions so I'm not putting them here too.) We put a bit of glue on the staples for a ribbon. (I folded all the ends into the basket instead of following the instructions and then secured them with staples) It looks really pretty along the top and we also used it to make a cute bow.  We punched holes in the side and threaded a little card through it. Everything was on hand and I didn't have to make any more trips to the store. (I love when that happens.)

1 comment: